"Safety First, Service Always"
Railroad Safety and Operational Consulting Services
George L. ELsmore
Principal, GE-Safety Associates, Transportation Safety Research & Solutions, 09/01/2011 - Present
- Veolia TransDev-Concept Originator, Chief Investigator-FRA funded research to reduce incidents of distraction and attention related errors in rail operations.
- Bombardier Transportation N.A., TCS Rail Services-SunRail Commuter Railroad Mobilization Project, Orlando, FL. Regulatory program development; train dispatching center operational configuration & set-up; train dispatcher training/mentoring; regulatory compliance consultation & representation.
Vice President Rail Safety & Compliance, Veolia Transportation, Inc., 12/01/08 - 09/01/2011
- Chief safety officer responsible for oversight of safety policy, practices and regulatory compliance at all Veolia North American rail operations.
- Concept Originator, Chief Investigator-FRA funded research to reduce incidents of distraction and attention related errors in
Program Manager State of California Public Utilities Commission Railroad Safety Program, 3/22/04 - 11/30/08
- Direct rail safety program activities of the largest state participation program, Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).
- Direct supervision of 48 rail safety branch regulatory personnel, indirect supervision of approximately 30 employees in the
rail crossings and rail transit branches.
- Project leader for official comments to federal & state rulemakings.
Supervisor, State of California Public Utilities Commission Railroad Safety Program, 9/21/99 - 3/19/04
- Division project leader-local safety hazard site federal litigation. Commission rules concerning track-train dynamics.
- Policy oversight-California state participation program, Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). California, with 28 federally certified railroad safety inspectors, is the largest state program working in partnership with the FRA.
- CPUC project supervisor, State of California Operation Lifesaver, Inc.
Associate Transportation Operations Supervisor, State of California Public Utilities Commission Railroad Safety Program
1/17/94 - 9/21/99
- FRA certified Railroad Operating Practices Inspector.
- Regulatory enforcement of CPUC General Orders and applicable Parts of US DOT 49 Code of Federal Regulations.
- Investigation of rail accidents within the state of California including independent analysis, determination of cause
UPRR Chief Train Dispatcher/Corridor Manager, Sacramento, CA. - Omaha, NE. 1990 - 1993
- Supervisor of train dispatchers and train dispatching operations.
- Assisted in coordinating the relocation of the Sacramento train dispatching office to the Harriman Dispatching Center, Omaha.
UPRR Train Dispatcher, Sacramento, CA. 1988 - 1991
- Trick dispatcher, UP's Sacramento dispatching center.
- Qualified on all territories, Feather River service unit, Salt Lake City to Oakland, California.
- Qualified as Assistant Chief Dispatcher, 1990.
UPRR General Signal Maintainer, Signalman 1981 - 1988
- 1984 - 1988 General signal maintainer-UP's Salt Lake City dispatching center.
- 1981 - 1984 Signalman, relief signals maintainer. UP System signal construction gang.
Lead Linesman, Linesman, Groundsman 1974 - 1981
- 1977 - 1981 Lead linesman, UP system communications gang.
- 1975 - 1977 Linesman - UP system communications gang.
- 1974 - 1975 Groundsman. Assist linesman. Same as above.
- 1983 - 1987 University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2007 - 2008 President, Association of State Rail Safety Managers (ASRSM) http://www.railsafety.idaho.gov/
- Representative to FRA Rail Safety Advisory Committee (RSAC)
- National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners
- American Association of Railroads
- American Public Transit Association
- Operation Lifesaver, Inc.